Friday, February 9, 2007

To FO or not to FO ...

It's up to you to decide (grin). I've finished the spinning for the Jacob Oregon Tote (with Oregonian Jacob, no less) ...


This was started, oh, about 3 years ago? maybe 4? Probably 3. This spinning was happenstance, in any case -- I sent the fleeces to the local mill to be processed, and it turned out the staple was too short for it to be considered a good quality roving, so I decided to spin it myself (rather than put it in the rare breed kit I was assembling at the time) and knit the Oregon Tote pattern -- it was very popular in our local guild at the time. Now they all look at me blankly and say, "what?" when I say that's what I'm working on.

I can tell one of the skeins is still underplied (my buga-boo when it comes to spinning!) but I'm not sure if I'll run it through the wheel again or not. Maybe. I ran one skein through a second time to firm up its plying and it looks alot better.

I plan to continue working on this one ... it's a cute tote, and it would be a nice break from the jewel-tone Lopi project (hmmm is that on my list?) -- I knit a moebius basket from a nice Emerald shade, and now I'd like to do a deeper one, more tote-like, in the rich Amethyst hank I still have. The Emerald one now houses my superwash pencil roving I'm spinning for socks ... that's not on the list, because I started it after we started this ... but it's officially a UFO now too, having been pushed aside for other things. Hmmm. What "makes" something a UFO? Cooking dinner? no. Housecleaning? no. Putting up Christmas decorations? no. Starting a newer project -- probably! LOL.

Hey, that would be a good contest -- what's a way to tell that something's a UFO? Just one way per person, please, here or on the email list (and I'll cc email list entries to the blog ... ok now I'll email the list about this great idea! hehehe)

And here's a shout-out to Leah -- it's not Valentine's yet, and that's me in the picture! with my newly completed balls of Jacob! So now I'm in the running. Let's see more of us!

3 comments:

Elysbeth said...

I want to come live at your house, all those rich colours. Could you run the one ball through the wheel and ask the universe what it wants to be while it's in your hands?

I like the UFO idea. That's funny.

Elysbeth said...

Where can I see a picture of the Jacob Oregon Tote? I am having a hard time visualising this.

Leah said...

Awww...look how cute you are! Look how cute that yarn is ;>

You know, one of my friends and I were just discussing the under-plied thing and really, unless you totally are bugged by it, once it's knit, you really can't tell the difference. I have twice plied lots of stuff early on cuz one of my "things" is that I HATE underplied yarn but if you aren't freakish about it like me, you should knit a swatch with good-plied and under-plied and see if you can tell the difference :)

I'm going to have to think about the answers to this new contest...and really want to hear what everyone else has to say too. Sounds like something to contemplate during housework!